Cold and flu are one of the most common yet hated illnesses. Both cause a lot of discomfort and irritation besides the other physiological symptoms. But it is very difficult to save yourself from it. At least once a year they will catch you. In a country like India where we have so many seasons and frequently changing weather, it is no wonder that you might catch a cold & flu often. They never visit alone, always bring with it several uninvited guests like a headache, stuffy nose, itchy throat etc.
It is always better to take precautions during seasonal changes so that we can keep away from cold. Here’s a list of things that you must do to save yourself from this irritating visitor:
- Wash your hands: our hands are the carriers of the many germs and they can transmit diseases very easily. Flu mostly spreads from direct contact so it is advisable to wash your hands or sanitize them.
- Drink enough fluids: it may be cold and you might not feel as thirsty but it is a good habit to drink plenty of fluids when you feel the symptoms coming. Water will help to clean your system and juices with vitamin C will help you fight cold symptoms.
- Avoid direct contact: as we already know that flu spreads from coming in direct contact with the germs. When in public places avoid touching objects that have had many hands on them. Avoiding handshakes is also a good practice during such times. Following Indian tradition of ‘namestay’ will be good.
- Boost your immunity: having foods that can boost your immunity is always the best practice that one can take to beat any disease and infection, like turmeric milk!
- Avoid caffeine: We all crave for a hot cup of beverage the moment weather becomes little chilly but having too much caffeine will make it difficult for you to stay hydrated. It is always better to opt for herbal teas.
- Get proper rest: Giving your body proper rest will help you fight infections. It is also advised to get proper sleep so that body can fight the infection.
- Avoid sudden exposure to cold: Getting in and out in different temperatures also causes cold. Try and avoid going out the moment you have bathed. Also if you have long hair do dry them if you have had a head wash before going out.
- Have some sun time: Try and sit in sun during cold days this will not only produce vitamin D in the body but will also keep the warmth in the body to fight cold.
- Have soups: Including healthy vegetable and chicken soups in the diet can help keep cold at bay. The soups are healthy and hot also.
- Honey: It is a wonderful product for fighting infections. Having a glass of warm water with honey and lemon in the morning gives the required boost to the immune system.
Take care, be healthy, be happy!