Many of us have donated blood at least once in our lifetime. The value of blood is something more than what we give credit for. One knows the value of blood more while receiving than donating it. The need for safe blood transfusion is increasing day by day despite regular donations. Everyone who has donated blood will undergo an immense feeling of happiness after giving it, this is because you turn into a hero once you give your blood. Even the World Health Organisation recognises the blood donors as heroes in their 2012 theme: Every blood donor is a hero.
The theme of this year’s World Blood Donor Day is “Blood Connects Us All” and the slogan is
“Be there for someone else. Give blood. Share life.”
As the theme states donating blood means being there for someone who is in need. When you give your blood to a person in need you share your life with them. This year’s campaign aims to highlight the magical stories of people whose life was saved through blood donation. This will create awareness among people and motivate them to donate more blood throughout the year.
How can you donate blood?
You can donate blood by going to your nearest trusted mobile blood donation clinic and donate blood. Donating for the first time? We will help you with some of the key points you can do before and after donation.
Here are some of the things you can do before you donate your blood.
- Eating iron-rich food
- Drinking plenty of water the night before or morning
- Good sleep the night before
- Eating 1-3 hours before donation
- Avoid smoking 1 hour before donation
- Avoid alcoholic beverages 24 hours before donation
Here are some of the things you can do after donation.
- Drink extra 4 glasses of juice or water throughout the day and avoid alcohol for the next 24 hours.
- Relax your muscle for a few minutes and have some cookies
- Tell others about the good deed you did, how good you felt and spread your joy by sharing your experience with others
Let’s start donating
For the people who have been donating their blood, we thank you for your service. New donors! Let’s get ready to be there for someone and let’s share our life by donating blood!