Detoxifying is a process of resting, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out. The first step is to eliminate toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients. This process removes impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. Toxins will also be cleansed from kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymphatic system, and skin. The impurities won’t be filtered and the body is adversely affected if the system is compromised. Detoxifying can help protect you from diseases.
Advantages of detoxification
- Improved blood circulation
- Refueling the body with healthy nutrients
- Boost energy levels
- Weight management
- Promotes healthy skin
- Strengthens immune system
- Improvement in your mood
- Supports digestion
Here are some of the common symptoms which your body tells you that it needs to detoxify:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infection
- Puffy eyes or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
Types of detox program
Depending on your individual needs, there are many detoxification programs and recipes. Almost all programs follow the seven-day schedule. This is because it takes seven days for the body to clean the blood. These are some of the popular detox diets:
- Simple Fruit and Veggie Detox
- Smoothie Cleanse
- Juice Cleanse
- Sugar Detox
- Hypoallergenic Detox
The following are some of the ways to detoxify your body:
- Fiber consumption: Eat fiber such as brown rice, organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables such as beetroots, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed. These are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleansing the liver: You need to cleanse the liver by consuming herbs such as dandelion root, burdock, and milk thistle. Green tea is also protected and cleanses the liver
- Production of glutathione: Your body needs glutathione (liver compound) which helps to drive the toxins away. Vitamin-C helps to produce glutathione.
- Keeping your body hydrated: This is one of the most effective days to detoxify your body. Drink at least 1.5-2 litres of water every day.
- Hydrotherapy: You can practice hydrotherapy by taking a hot shower for five minutes and then followed up with cold water for thirty seconds. Repeat this procedure three times and get into bed for thirty minutes.
- Sauna therapy: Sauna is one of the most effective therapy in detoxifying your body. Your body’s waste will be eliminated through perspiration.
- Skin care: You can take care of your skin by using the dry-brush technique. You can also go for detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at stores for this kind of natural products
- Physical activity: Exercise is one of the fastest ways to detoxify. You can do yoga, jump rope etc. You can also try a specific martial arts-Qigong. Qigong is a martial art based on exercise which specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, as well as many other exercises with specific health benefits.
Other common ways which help in detoxifying are breathing deeply which allows the oxygen to circulate throughout your body and also growing positive emotions and thoughts in your mind.