There’s a thought that keeps running in my head lately, and I am sure you’ll like the idea too. I wish someone will work on creating a vaccine against heartbreaks. Wouldn’t it be just amazing if there was some immunization against hard feelings, like anger or frustration? Pop a pill (no not anti-depressants or drug) and you are laminated against the turbulence of feelings. Yes, we can meditate and work on having better control over our emotions with time, but just sometimes I wish for an easy way. And that’s when our dear editor offered Bach Flower Therapy.
Bach Flower Therapy or also known as Bach Flower Remedies was developed by Dr. Edward Bach in the late 1930s. This is an alternative treatment, kind of like homeopathy, which uses flower essences to help you cure against negative emotions. Dr. Edward Bach was of the belief that the human body and physical ailments all have a connection with our feelings and soul as well. So, curing the negative feelings can help heal physical symptoms too.
He created 38 flower essences (remedies) divided into 4 categories:
- The 12 Healers: Agrimony, Centaury, Cerato, Chicory, Clematis, Gentian, Impatiens, Mimulus, Rock Rose, Scleranthus, Vervain, Water Violet
- The ‘seven helpers’: Gorse, Heather, Oak, Olive, Rock Water, Vine, Wild Oat
- The ‘second 19’: Aspen, Beech, Cherry Plum, Chestnut Bud, Crab Apple, Elm, Holly, Honeysuckle, Hornbeam, Larch, Mustard, Pine, Red Chestnut, Star of Bethlehem, Sweet Chestnut, Walnut, White Chestnut, Wild Rose, Willow
- The First Aid: This is like for dealing with everyday stress and is made from 5 ingredients: Star of Bethlehem, Rock Rose, Cherry Plum, Clematis, Impatiens
The principle behind these is that each of these flower vibrations is collected into their essences and they work against a certain kind of negative emotion. Amongst themselves they cover the A to Z of emotional situations almost 190, which are broadly categorized in 7 groups:
- Lack of interest in present circumstances
- Oversensitivity to Influences and Ideas
- Sadness or Despair
- Cares for others at the expense of self
These essences are created by two methods. Either by diluting the flower heads in the water and letting them soak in the sun for a few hours (the Sun method). Or by taking the plant/herb and boiling it in water for 30 minutes (The Boiling method). These mother essences or tinctures are then mixed with equal parts of brandy. And voila the magic potion has been brewed.
As for how you decide, well if you know your specific emotion condition, then you can match it with the description on remedy or check with a specialist. As for usage, you may mix a few for multiple issues (no more than 12 at a time), you can use them at multiple times a day. Take a few drops and mix it with some water and sip it. Additionally, you can apply them behind ears, on wrists (like perfume), also add them to your bathing water or body lotions.
The best part about them is they are safe no side-effects whatsoever at all. You can take them with any other medication or treatment. You can take them for as long as you need to and stop whenever. The thing about them is no study or research will prove it, they all say it works because you believe them (placebo effect). But then when it comes to feelings don’t, they say it’s all in your head anyways. Holly and honeysuckle here I come!