Sleeping is bliss, it’s good for health and mind. There are some who call it a hobby. But off late it eludes many, there are various reasons why it happens – Anxiety is among the top contenders. Anxiety in the form of million thoughts running through your mind about various things, plans, and just random stress. It’s like a continuous light streaming in keeping you wide awake, put a blanket on it, shut it out and sleep well.
Yes, Science says a Weighted Blanket can reduce anxiety and can put you to sleep. Many believe weighted blankets have therapeutic effects, it has the power to calm us and lull us into a deep sleep. A study conducted on 32 adults showed that when they used a 30lb blanket on them, 63% reported reduced anxiety, and 78% preferred it as a calming mode.
A weighted blanket isn’t anything special, an ideal one should be 10% of your body weight. Its magic doesn’t lie into its folds or cloth but the fact that when it comes into contact with the body it works with Deep Touch Stimulation (DTS) which then helps brain release serotonin in our body, responsible for making us feel calm, it’s like visiting a spa and being pampered. This device isn’t new, it’s been around and has been used in many hospitals and psychiatric wards to calm patients, people with autism, OCD, just generally overwhelming stress. DTP is about a gentle evenly distributed pressure which research shows works wonders for we humans.
- Serotonin promotes melatonin, which regulates and aids deep sleep. That further helps us wake up relaxed and more focused.
- The serotonin that is released, not just calms us but also helps us have a good mood.
- They are like a warm hug, which releases oxytocin (interestingly a.k.a Love hormone, and we can all do more with it), by the way, it also reduces blood pressure.
- We all change sides during sleep but too much fidgeting disturbs your slumber, but that extra weight on you lessens your movement.
- It also provides similar effects like ‘Grounding’ or ‘Earthing’. It means being in direct physical contact with the earth. And studies reveal that this reduces blood viscosity and is beneficial against CVD risk factors.
Many people have seen its merits and benefitted from it. The thing is it provides that comfortable, warm nurturing feeling which we humans at our very core crave for. They are easier to find, you may simply purchase them from the market, or if you have time and the inclination you can make your own DIY project out of it. It’s fun and simple and definitely better than popping sleeping pills which can lead to side effects.
So go ahead and wrap yourself in the arms of your cozy blanket!