Opposites attract meant that two contrasting charged atoms will pull each other, and this equation can be rightly and has been applied to many things in life. But what is noteworthy about this is that when this happens outside of charged atoms, it can either complement the weaknesses or disrupt the whole, a lot depends on how the two are amalgamated. Pegan diet is also one such amalgamation that has brought together two contrasting and contradicting diets together. Vegan the complete avoidance of animal product and by-product and only focus on a plant-based diet, and paleo the majorly animal-focused diet or items available in cavemen times.
Can these two come together? According to Dr. Mark Hyman, the inventor of the diet and word thinks so. In essence, pegan diets focus on majorly fruits and vegetables, a lesser amount of lean protein, so yes to meat, fish, eggs, nuts, and seeds but still no to gluten, processed foods, and unfortunately legumes and whole grains have no place in the diet either. They are only allowed a guest appearance in your diet every so often.
To quote the inventor, on this diet 75% of your plate should be full of vegetables and fruits and the rest 25% is taken up by meat. Also, the focus is on organic plant-based items and pasture-fed animals for your meat. To make it easier let me give you a list of some items that have made it through pegan approval:
- Vegetables: basically, all vegetables are allowed but more starchy ones like potatoes, squash should be limited.
- Fruits: the same, all fruits thank god. Oh, but yes preferably less sweet ones. As sugar (refined/processed is a strict no)
- Nuts: pistachios, flax, chia, pumpkin, sunflower seeds, and others, but no peanuts.
- Fish: well lean meat right, so fishes make the cut, herring, sardines, mackerel, wild salmon.
- Meat like we said grass-fed, pasture-raised, chicken beef, eggs (I know they are not yet meat)
- Oils: olive, avocado, and unrefined coconut oil
- Dairy limited mostly, and yeah, no alcohol or caffeine.
The benefits of pegan diet are all thanks to nutrient-dense foods. It reduces inflammation and hence positively impacts other related conditions. Also, the addition of omegas 3 in the form of fishes and lean meat means heart healthy. With so much fiber and less processed items, it is great for the digestive system and helps in weight loss as well.
It’s been said that this offspring has been made more sustainable than it’s parents (vegan mama and paleo papa). For those with celiac disease or gluten, lactose allergies it makes sense.
This union in the world of diets is definitely a step up from its progenitors but doesn’t seem like a match made in heaven.